Monday, July 31, 2023

Cartesian Doubt and the definition of faith.

In philosophy, there is something called "Cartesian Doubt", as Rene Descartes wrote once, that he was not convinced anything was real, and the probably he was the only real thing in the world, such that he could prove it.  "..if I've convinced myself of anything, it is that I am real."

Oh to live in such doubt!

Oh not to have the loving Father and Son helping us along!

In respect to this doubt, I am thankful so much for my faith, and its fruits of love, hope and mercy.  I love "them" and I love you all.

Paul writes that faith is "the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen."  It's antique language, but our faith is our evidence of God, and we need no "Cartesian" proofs or anything else; in our heart of hearts, we do not have to defend our faith to ourselves.

Something that bears love hope and mercy could never be in any way wrong; we are human, going through our season, and the Holy Spirit, as Christ promised, is there as a helper for God's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

new group

https://chat.whatsapp.com/FV7dX5JiIciAbA4R5PM2Rz Jesus and more Jesus.  Join in.