Saturday, August 12, 2023

Can you praise even in bad times?

Spurgeon speaks of some Christian who fall into a depressed silence.  They may say that they remember prior happiness, the love of God, and how much better the air tasted, how much better the sun shined, but no more.

Numbers of Christians can view the past with pleasure, but regard the present with dissatisfaction; they look back upon the days which they have passed in communing with the Lord as being the sweetest and the best they have ever known, but as to the present, it is clad in a sable garb of gloom and dreariness. Once they lived near to Jesus, but now they feel that they have wandered from him, and they say, "O that I were as in months past!" They complain that they have lost their evidences, or that they have not present peace of mind, or that they have no enjoyment in the means of grace, or that conscience is not so tender, or that they have not so much zeal for God's glory. 

What changed?

Something had gotten between him and God, and that robbed his joy.

In the midst of sickness earlier in the week, I stopped and began to praise God, in the worst of the pain, and I was remembering how grateful I was to my Lord and Maker.

And that was the turning point in my sickness.  The Lord delivered me from ills from that moment on, and a smile soon returned to my face.

Only through Him; only with God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

new group

https://chat.whatsapp.com/FV7dX5JiIciAbA4R5PM2Rz Jesus and more Jesus.  Join in.